The last full week of January already! The month seems to have flown by. In this week’s newsletter you will find both an overview of our plans this week, as well as a brief overview of events for Catholic Schools Week (Jan.29th-Feb.3rd). We will be planting primroses this Friday 27th in our Faith Family groups to add some color and beauty to the front of our school and church prior to the Open House on Sunday. Students may wear free dress on Friday and are encouraged to bring in a small garden digging tool if possible. Be sure to label your tool with your family name.
Religion: Last week the students filled out study sheets for the Liturgical Year test that will take place on February 8th. We will have practice and review time in class. Students should also use the study sheets to review as part of their homework. They also have access to online review practice activities I have created to match the tests. Extra review sheets can also be accessed under the Religion tab above. The students are doing an excellent job with their Cool School News and Works of Mercy poster presentations!
LA/Spelling: This week’s spelling words focus on suffixes. All students have a copy of the list in their filer. The spelling test is scheduled for this Friday the 27th. We began the first rounds of our in-class spelling last week. We will continue this week to determine our two 4A classroom representatives. Students are wrapping up and sharing their Cool School News projects, Works of Mercy Posters and Martin Luther King Mural.
Reading: Students use text evidence in Harvesting Hope as they respond to reading Cesar Chavez’ inspiring biography. Students are becoming very adept at using context clues to define new vocabulary and are able to transfer that skill into writing, as well.
Social Studies: The students will be tested on the West/SW States this Friday the 27th. Finally our neighboring states! We do practice in class, but students should review at home to solidify their knowledge of state locations and abbreviations. Looking forward, the entire 50 State Test will take place on February 16th. Students can start reviewing anytime! Several fun practice sites are linked on the Map Skills tab.
Science: Students will be reviewing Unit 2 Waves of Sound. We will go over the study guide as a class and play a game of Jeopardy to help them study for the test on Friday, January 27th.
Math: Students are ready for their final Chapter 5 assessment on Tuesday: multiplying double digit numbers, estimating large products and problem-solving (some multi-step). Thank you for reviewing and offering support as they review these core skills & concepts on the Monday night homework. As we begin chapter 6, students will review the inverse relationship of multiplication and division. We practice multiplication and division of basic facts each week at school and students are reminded to practice them at home, too. Students are making progress with this consistent practice!
Thank you to those families who volunteered to drive/chaperone a group of students delivering certificates to our local businesses on Tuesday, January 31st from 10:30-12:00ish. All those that signed up to drive will be receiving a separate email with detailed information about the event.
- “Rooted in Our Faith Community” Saturday/Sunday, January 28th & 29th: Opening Masses: All weekend Masses will celebrate our school and include student readers and the Champions of Holy Rosary Award. Students that attend Mass in person are asked to wear their uniforms to represent our school.
- Monday, January 30th: “Rooted in Our Parent Community” Students can wear Gator Gear/CYO/athletic gear today. Show your spirit! Look for some special letters of appreciation for parents today—one in your child’s filer and one in your email. We will also have an All-School Bingo the last hour of the day. This is a no-homework night! Enjoy the special treat that will be coming home with your children.
- Tuesday, January 31st: “Rooted in our Greater Seattle Community” Appreciation/Outreach: Perfect Uniform Day. All 4th graders needed to come to school looking sharp in their uniforms for our certificate deliveries. Every class is participating in some type of service today.
- Wednesday, February 1st: “Rooted in Honoring our Grandparents and Special Friends” A special video will be created from the school to share. We will have Mass as usual. Perfect uniform day.
- Thursday, February 2nd: “Rooted in Appreciation of Lifelong Learning and Staff” The All-School Spelling Bees will happen today. In the afternoon we will have an All-School Read-In. 4th graders can bring a small pillow or stuffy today to hang out with them! Uniform day otherwise.
- Friday, February 3rd: “Rooted in Appreciating our Students” The Spirit Day theme this year Surfers vs. Bikers. We will also be bringing back an adapted Spirit Assembly. We will have the Spirit Assembly in the morning and 8th Grade vs. Teachers volleyball game in the afternoon! So excited for these traditions to return. More info about the theme day follows:
From the Junior High Leadership Team: Spirit Day on Friday, February 3rd!
- Are you team surfer or team biker? On the Friday of CSW, we celebrate spirit with a fun spirit day: Surfers vs. Bikers! Students can choose to dress as a surfer or a biker!
- Do not feel the need to buy anything! Find something at the house, or ask around to borrow items. Students can keep it simple or go all out!
- Surfer ideas: board shorts, loose t-shirts, baggy pants, Hawaiian shirts, sunglasses, graphic tees, flowy dresses, Vans/Converse
- Biker ideas: leather jackets, all black, chains, white t-shirt, old jeans, boots, bandanas, gloves, chokers, sunglasses, fake tattoos
- We look forward to seeing if the students choose to be a surfer or a biker!
Look for additional information in the eFC. Most importantly, Catholic Schools Week is an opportunity to celebrate our wonderful school and community! Let me know if you have any questions!