Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the holiday in honor of Dr. King and the fantastic (and stressful) Super Bowl XLIX here we come!
We have a short but busy ahead completing projects and getting ready for Catholic Schools Week which begins this coming Sunday. Just a couple of reminders:
- The students will be bringing home song sheets on Tuesday to practice for the Grandparent’s Luncheon. Have them sing to you to practice! Thank you.
- Be sure to return permission slips for the certificate delivery by Wednesday the 21st. Thank you for indicating your availability to drive/chaperone a group of students for this service project on Tuesday, January 27th. Friday I will send home confirmation to those of you that have signed up to drive with directions for the event/times/etc.
- The Book Fair will open on Friday, January 23rd and be open all week. Here is a book fair link that will give you more information as well as an opportunity to shop online.
- Sunday the 25th: Open House will take place from 9:30-12:30. The Book Fair will be open, along with all of the classrooms. Please plan to attend one of the weekend Masses to help celebrate the start of Catholic School’s Week. Students are asked to wear their uniforms to Mass on the weekend! Thank you.
- Monday the 26th: Look of some special letters of appreciation for parents today. Today is Seattle sports free dress. There will be an all-school BINGO from 2:15-2:45.
- Tuesday the 27th: Community Appreciation/Outreach. The 4th graders will be delivering certificates today and all classes will plant primroses in the afternoon. Students should bring in shovels to help plan. Jeans day. 4th graders must bring HR red sweatshirt to wear for deliveries.
- Wednesday the 28th: Grandparent Lunch day and teacher/staff appreciation. Perfect uniform day. No homework—spend some family time together!
- Thursday the 29th: Spelling Bees today. Grades 1-4 8:30 and Grades 5-8 at 9:30.
- Friday the 30th: Spirit Day! Safari Theme. Spirit Assembly from 9:30-10:45 we will have the always fun Spirit Assembly with lots of fun games. In the afternoon the crowd pleasing 8th grade vs. teachers volleyball game.
- Sunday, February 1st : CSW Closing Mass. Students are encouraged to wear Gator Sweatshirts to Mass. Go Seahawks!
This is just a brief overview. Look for additional information in next week’s newsletter on this link and the eFC. Most importantly, Catholic Schools Week is an opportunity to celebrate our wonderful school and community!
Reading/Language Arts: The students will be focusing on MLK and Civil Rights this week. Last week the students did a wonderful project using their iPads to summarize important information from a non-fiction text on Mars. They did a wonderful job!
Spelling lists were sent out last week. The focus for the week is contractions. Students should know the contraction as well as what it stands for. The SLE test will take place this Thursday. Students will need to be able to name and spell these 5 learning expectations. In class the students are writing specific examples of how they follow each of these expectations.
We will be finishing up our class spelling bee by Wednesday. The students are doing quite well so far.
Math: While going over/correcting math class work and homework last week I noted that there were quite a few careless computation errors—adding, subtracting and multiplying. One small error makes an entire problem wrong of course. This week I will be giving several smaller quizzes. Tonight’s homework will be addition and subtraction of larger numbers. Students need to work with precision—no errors. Thank you for checking your child’s work and having him or her make corrections. Wednesday, they will have a quiz that matches the HW. Wednesday/Thursday math homework will be multiplication of larger numbers—same routine. Friday there will be a quiz related to this homework. Next week we will take the chapter test for double-digit multiplication.
Religion: We will continue our study of the Sacraments this week. All students will need to be able to name the sacraments and their category. Students will have a study sheet in their filer on Tuesday. The test will take place next Wednesday, January 28th. Extra study sheets can be printed from the Religion Content page above. This Thursday Patrick Barredo will visit the 4th graders to show them some of the Holy Oils we use in our church ceremonies.
Look for quite a few corrected tests in your child’s filer this week including the 50 State test (the class did great), a multiplication and division time test, and reading. Please remove corrected tests from filers. Thank you.
Homework Page: I try to keep this page updated, but I sometimes will make a change or addition that I do not change on the website. Students should be keeping their assignment notebooks neatly filled in each day. If you find they are not, please let me know and I will be sure to check on them!! Thank you.
Have a great week! Perhaps I will see you at Open House on Sunday.